A majority of smokers that take the decision of quitting cigarettes change their decision within 24 hours. How do you quit smoking? How do you control the urge or craving to smoke? If you truly want to give up smoking, read on.
Identify your smoking habits and detach yourself accordingly
Every smoker has peculiar habits. The number of cigarettes you smoke increases or decreases with your activities for the week. Research reveals that an individual is not aware of how many cigarettes he/she smokes under the influence of alcohol. A smoker that reduces alcohol consumption or gives up alcohol drastically reduces his/her smoking habit. If you are a smoker that enjoys partying, the number of cigarettes you smoke at night is significantly higher than the number during the day. You can detach yourself from cigarettes slowly by reducing the number of parties you attend or restricting your clubbing activities.
20 essential tips for teenagers to quit smoking
1. At your workplace take breaks with co-workers that do not smoke.
2. Replace your smoking habit with a fresh juice habit.
3. Tell your friends and family that have hated your smoking habit about your plans of quitting cigarettes. They will encourage you and keep an eye on you to ensure you keep away from cigarettes.
4. Don’t be an idiot. Say No, when offered a smoke. You will feel good about yourself.
5. Get rid of tobacco related products and cigarette packets that are in your home or in your car. Succumbing to temptation is easy and that’s the reason why many teenagers are unable to quit smoking.
6. If you have the habit of smoking with alcohol, give up alcohol. If you are not able to give up alcohol replace the cigarette with items such as nuts, chips or chicken salads. It may seem a bit weird, but it works.
7. Keep flavored toothpicks in your pocket and chew on it every time you feel the urge to smoke.
8. To motivate yourself to quit smoking remember how you’ve emerged victorious in difficult times in your life.
9. Do not feel shy about taking smoking cessation medication. These medications are available to reduce cravings, urge and withdrawal symptoms.
10. For withdrawal symptoms acupuncture works exceedingly well. This is one of the oldest medical techniques that help the body relax by triggering the release of endorphins.
11. Seek help from websites and books that provide motivational ways of quitting cigarettes. Several smokers offer testimonials about how they quit drugs. If a person can come clean from a drug related habit, giving up smoking should be easy for you.
12. Meditation and Prayer along with behavioral therapy works wonders.
13. Watch videos of victims or sufferers of tobacco-related cancers to instill fear within you to quit cigarettes.
14. Do not carry cash. You’re better off having credit cards. Majority of local stores accept only cash and not credit card payment on cigarette packets.
15. Most teenage smokers feel guilty when they relapse. You don’t have to feel down or guilty. The fact that you have taken a decision to quit smoking is worthy of praise. Look back on what went wrong and see what triggered you to get back to smoking. Learn from your mistakes.
16. Play a sport. Research reveals that individuals that engage in daily cardio activity immediately after quitting cigarettes are able to give up smoking more easily than individuals that don’t.
17. Keep your mind occupied. Read books and magazines you love. Be engaged with your favorite activity.
18. Learn a musical instrument you’ve always wanted. When you quit smoking take up a hobby you love. Learn to play a musical instrument that has always fascinated you, it helps tremendously. Woodwind instruments have a calming effect on the mind. This helps shift focus on constructive activities.
19. Consume a lot of water when you have recently stopped smoking. Water is an excellent cure. It flushes toxins fast, minimizes craving, and reduces the duration of withdrawal symptoms.
20. Make your home a smoke-free zone. Do not allow friends to smoke in your home.
I hope and pray this post helps you quit smoking. Do not feel discouraged or frustrated if you have made several attempts at giving up cigarettes and not succeeded, try again, I succeeded this way. Just don’t lose hope.
Love n’ Peace