Herbal medicine is considered as the oldest form of medicines.
Herbal Medicine is the oldest form of medicine and has at one time been the dominant healing therapy throughout all cultures and the peoples of the world. The first examples of the use of herbs as medicines date back to the very dawn of mankind. Archaeologists have found many evidences of the use of herbs by Neanderthal man in Iraq some sixty thousand years ago. All of the ancient civilizations – the Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek, Chinese, Indian and Roman used herbs as an integral part of their various medical systems. The first famous Herbalist, who stressed the importance of nature in healing, was Hippocrates, known as the “Father of Medicine”.
It is on the long and continuous history of herbs as medicine, together with knowledge taken from modern scientific research, that today’s herbalism is based.
The Philippine Institute of Traditional an Alternative Health Care has approved the 10 most common herbal medicines and as approved by the Department of Health.
Acapulpo. Scientific Name- Cassia Alata
It Contains chrysophic acid, a fungicide and saponin, a laxative.
- Treatment of skin dideases such as insect bites, ringworm, eczema, scabies and itchiness
- Expectorant for bronchitis and dyspnea
- alleviation of asthma symptom
- Diuretic and purgative
- Laxative to expel intestinal parasites and other stomach problems
- Ampalaya or Bitter Melon. Scientific Name- Momordica Charantia
Herbal medicine known to cure Diabetes (flavanoids and alkaloids). It is good source of Vitamins A, B, and C, iron, folic acid, phosphorous and calcium.
Scientific Name- Mormordica Charantia
- Good for rheumatism and gout
- Good for diseases of spleen and liver
- Aids in lowering blood sugar levels
- Helps in lowering blood pressure
- Relieves headaches
- Disinfects and heals wounds and burns
- Can be used as cough and fever remedy
- Treatment of intestinal worms, diarrhea
- Helps prevent some types of cancer
- Enhances immune system to fight infection
- It is an antioxidant, parasiticide, antibacterial and antipyretic
- Garlic. Scientific Name- Allium Sativum
An antibacterial compound known as Allicin. It is known as nature’s antibiotic. Its juices inhibits the growth of fungal and viruses thus prevents viral, yeast and viral infections.
Preliminary test also shows some positive results in the treatment of AIDS.
Scientific Name- Allium Sativum
- Helps lower bad cholesterol level (LDL)
- Aids in lowering blood pressure
- Remedy for arteriosclerosis
- May help prevent certain types of cancer
- Boosts immune system to fight infection
- With antioxidant properties
- Relieves sore throat, toothache
Scientific Name- Psidium Guajava
The fresh leaves are used to facilitate the healing wounds and cuts. A decoction or infusion of fresh leaves can be used for wound cleaning to prevent infection. Guava is also effective for toothache.