Leaf juice is used for cough,kill parasites,heal wounds.Juice extract is effective in against colitis and bacillary dysentery.Whole plants can be prepared to treat diabetes,skin diseases,sterility in women and chronic ulcers of the stomach.Plant can be prepared to bring about vomiting.Powder from roots,fruits,and seeds can be used as an ingredient in aphrodisiac preparations,and in treating hemorrhoids.
Medicinal Uses of Bitter Gourd “Ampalaya”
1. The leaf juice is used for cough, to kill parasites and to heal wounds.
2. Juice extracted from the green fruit is effective against colitis and bacillary dysentery.
3. The whole plants can be prepared to treat diabetes, skin diseases, sterility in women and chronic ulcers of the stomach.
4. The plant can be prepared to bring about vomiting.
5. The powder from roots, fruits and seeds can be used as an ingredient in aphrodisiac preparations.
6. The powdered roots, fruits and seeds can be applied externally to hemorrhoids because they have astringent properties and prevent the secretion of fluids from wounds.
Nutritive Values of Bitter Gourd “Ampalaya”
1. The young fruits and leaves of Bitter Gourd “Ampalaya” are extensively used as vegetable.
2. The leaves are excellent sources of iron and calcium and a good source of phosphorus.
3. The leaves are also high in carbohydrates and a good source of vitamin B.
Spiritual Healing Links:
Matthew 4:23 (New International Version) Jesus Heals the Sick
23Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.
James 5:16 (New International Version)
16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
Philippine Herbs (Medicinal Plants for Barangay Herbal Garden), Editha M. Alcodia and Rolando E. Cabanting, R. Obed’s Enterprises, Philippines 1996