Lemon balm, or commonly called Melissa, is a kind of herb that is mostly cultivated in Southern Europe and in the Mediterranean.
The name Melissa comes from it’s scientific name in botany. The scientific name of lemon balm is Melissa Officinalis. It is called lemon balm since it smells like lemon.
Lemon balm can be cultivated in wide range of climate conditions. However,it is mostly cultivated in mild temperature zones. It also needs winter mulch and sandy soil to survive. Lemon balm leaves are used in herbal medicine for various diseases and conditions. Not only the leaves but also the stems and flowers of lemon balm are used in herbal medicine.
This article is about the benefits of lemon balm leaves in herbal medicine world. Lemon balm is taken in the form of tea.
This is a great list of benefits of lemon balm:
- It is used as sedative in the treatment of depression.It is used to minimize the effect of depression.
- It is notably effective against the herpes virus
- It lessens the effect of stomach gas and cramps.It has also antispasmodic effect on the stomach.
- According to the researchers,lemon balm leaves have antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- It is used in the treatment of thyroid.
- It is used to treat flu.
- It is used to lower blood pressure
- It is used in the treatment of insomnia and indigestion.
- It improves the memory.
- It is used to release hormones in the body.
- It is somehow connected with Grave’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
If you have a sleeplessness problem,or insomnia, I strongly to recommend to drink lemon balm tea.