There are five elements in our body: fire, water, air, earth and space (ether). The five fingers of our hand represent these five elements, thumb – fire, index finger – air, middle finger – space, ring finger – earth and little finger – water respectively. Imbalances in these elements cause diseases. Mudras can balance these elements and thus they promote health.
Many people wrote to me that they had been relieved of many diseases with the mudras. They asked me to write about more mudras. I did more research on mudras for them and I am writing this article based on that. Here are eight more mudras for wonderful health benefits.
1. Akash Mudra – Space:
Method: Join the tips of middle finger with the tips of thumb while remaining three fingers keeping stretched.
Specialty: This mudra relieves you from dullness and generates new energy.
Time Duration: 15 minutes.
- This mudra is very useful for heart diseases.
- It strengthens the bones.
- It prevents diseases related to nasal and oral cavities.
- It removes frustration.
2. Mahasir Mudra – Tension Relieving:
Method: Touch the tip of thumb with the tips of index and middle fingers. Keep your ring finger into the fold of the thumb and stretch the little finger.
Specialty: This mudra relieves all tensions.
Time Duration: 15 to 20 minutes
- It is very useful for migraine.
- It relives your eyes from straining. It reduces the mucous congestion.
- It relieves from back pain.
3. Hakini Mudra – Memory:
Method: Touch the tips of the corresponding fingers of each other.
Specialty: This mudra improves memory power.
Time Duration: 15 minutes
- It helps to improve concentration.
- It promotes the co-operation between the right and left brain hemispheres.
- For children suffering from Autism, Mudra of knowledge(Gyan Mudra) and this mudra can be very helpful. (Autism can be partially cured by mudras and some asanas in yoga. But for permanent cure you have to follow other methods prescribed by doctors).
4. Udan Mudra – Awakening:
Method: Join the tips of fore finger, middle finger and ring finger with the tip of thumb keeping the little finger straight.
Specialty: This mudra develops the flow of energy in all parts of the body.
Time Duration: No specific time duration.
- This mudra refreshes your body.
- It enhances the efficiency of the nervous system.
- It cures many problems of the chest and navel area.
5. Saman Mudra – Digestion:
Method: Join the tips of all fingers with the tips of the thumb.
Specialty: This mudra controls the digestive system.
Time: 20 minutes
- It digests food and nourishes body.
- It enhances the function of digestive system.
- It prevents and cures many problems associated with digestive system.
6. Vyan Mudra – Energy:
Method: Join the tips of fore finger and middle finger with the tip of thumb while the ring finger and little finger keeping straight.
Specialty: It balances the energy in our body.
Time duration: 20 minutes
- It strengthens the whole nervous system.
- It helps to regain the heat energy in the body.
7. Bronchial Mudra:
Method: Keep the middle finger on the tip of the thumb, the ring finger on the upper thumb joint and the little finger at the base of the thumb. Stretch the index finger.
Specialty: It relieves from negative feelings and moods.
Time Duration: 10 minutes
- It is very useful in acute attacks of bronchial asthma.
- It helps in dilation of the bronchial tubes.
- It regulates oxygen intake.
8. Asthma Mudra:
Method: Join the nails of both middle fingers while the other fingers remains stretched.
Specialty: This mudra enhances self-confidence.
Time: No specific time duration.
- It is very helpful for asthma patients.
- It counters timidity.
There are many sources for the uses of yoga and meditation for health.
In the last 20 years, meditation has been studied in clinical trials as a way of reducing stress on both the mind and body. According to the NIH National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine regular meditation can reduce chronic pain, anxiety, high blood pressure, cholesterol, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress syndrome and blood cortisol levels that are increased by stress.
Mudras are part of yoga and they can be very helpful for health. Research is still being undertaken on these yoga techniques.
Some people think that it is a placebo effect. I myself am an eye witness for many people who are relieved from several health hazards. Anyway it is your decision to practice or not.