Many people are affected by dandruff, an itchy scalp condition caused by a fungus known as Malassezia furfur that is often accompanied by inflammation. This fungal condition can be treated by various home remedies including onions and garlic, Aloe Vera, tea tree oil, boric acid and coal-tar.
What is dandfruff?
Dandruff refers to an itchy scalp condition caused by a fungus known as Malassezia furfur which is aggravated by stress, general poor health, poor diets, hormonal changes, excessive use of hair sprays and also happens to have a genetic predisposition. The following are some home remedies for dandruff.
How can you treat dandruff?
- Coal tar – It is very useful against dandruff when applied on the skin. It clears scales from the scalp and relieves itching. It also slows down the rate of scalp cell growth to a more tolerable level hence helping deal with the problem.
- Boric acid – Moistening the hair with a mixture of boric acid and a little water before using your favorite shampoo helps prevent fungal growth that contributes to dandruff.
- Peanut oil – Rubbing peanut oil onto the scalp followed by fresh lemon juice is very useful against fungal growth. The mixture should be allowed 15 minutes before the hair is rinsed and shampooed.
- Rosemary – An infusion of fresh rosemary made with boiling water and allowed to cool helps in controlling the fungus when used in rinsing the hair after a through wash.
- Onions and garlic – The two may be useful culinary additives but work excellently on the scalp and help remedy skin dryness.
- Tea tree oil – This is a known antiseptic which helps in fighting dandruff by controlling fungal growth and keeping the scalp healthy.
- Aloe vera – Massaging the scalp with aloe vera extract may also assist in controlling fungal growth and keeping your scalp dandruff-free.
NB: Avoid hair products that contain alcohol since it dries the scalp and helps in fungal growth.