The ear of a British tourist was parasitized by fly larvae during a trip to Peru.
Rochelle Harris, a British 27-year-old was contaminated eggs screwworm whose larvae hatched in his ear Capture
Funny story than this British woman who returned from a trip to Peru. First, she hears noises like scratching inside his head. She was attacked by flesh-eating maggots living inside his ear.
PERU. Rochelle Harris, 27, remembered being chased a fly of her ear when she was still in Peru, but thought no more. Until it begins to feel headaches and pain on one side of his face. One morning back in Britain, she wakes up with liquid on the pillow. Believing at first an ordinary ear infection caused by a mosquito bite, it requires medical treatment at the Royal Derby Hospital in the north of England. It is there you notice maggots housed in a small hole inside the ear canal.
An excerpt from the documentary called “Bugs, Bites and Parasites” broadcast in the UK on the Discovery Channel. Warning, the last five seconds are a little gore.
“I was very scared. Are they in my brain?” wondered Rochelle Harris. She recounts her ordeal in a new Discovery Channel documentary entitled “Bugs, Bites and Parasites” broadcast in the UK on July 21 series. The doctors first tried out maggots from the ear with olive oil. “I could still feel them and hear them,” she said.
“RINSE.” After their first failed to “rinse” maggots attempts, doctors have resorted to surgery. They found a “writhing mass of maggots” in the ear of the patient. The surgeon removed a family of eight maggots. The analysis revealed that they were larvae being laid by screwworm (Cochliomyia hominovorax), which literally means “Cochliomyia devourer of men.”
Unlike most of his counterparts who revel mostly dead tissue, this species of maggots feed on living flesh.
Fly responsible for this infection is not able to bite humans. However, it looks small wounds on the skin to lay her eggs in the immediate vicinity of the wound. And not a little because the insect can drop between 200 and 500.
Twelve to 24 hours after spawning, charming larvae hatch.
The latter then secrete a corrosive saliva that will digest the tissue in an appetizing porridge which will feast on the larvae for about a week until maturity. They then drop to the ground and bury themselves to complete their cycle of metamorphosis and give birth to new flies.
These insect pests can cause serious injury. However, such contamination of man are rare. Indeed, a report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture states that “the NWS asks essentially a veterinary problem. As noted during an outbreak in Texas in 1935. had been indeed observed about 230,000 cases in animals against only 55 in humans. “
Mainly present in the warmer regions of the Americas, the screwworm has been successful eradication campaigns in the 1980s (due to massive releases of sterile male flies). Today, it crosses mainly in South America.