Heart disease can be very fatal and can hit anyone suddenly. But you can reduce the chance of heart disease by following the right diet. So what are the best foods for a healthy heart?
A heart-healthy diet can reduce bad cholesterol by thirty percent. For a healthy heart you not only need omega-3 fatty acids but also need to look for ways to get all the different nutrients.
10 best foods for your heart:
- Oatmeal: It’s the best food for the breakfast. Oatmeal is rich with omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, folate (the parent form is folic acid) and potassium. This is a high fiber rich food lowers the bad cholesterol level.
- Salmon: Another food with high amount of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, very effective in reducing blood pressure. It also helps to clear the blood clots. Other fish like tuna, herring, and sardines are also good for the heart.
- Olive oil: The biggest source of monounsaturated fat, olive oil is good for heart as it reduces the chance of developing heart disease. Extra virgin olive oil contains higher levels of antioxidants, particularly vitamin E and phenols, because it is less processed.
- Nuts: Walnuts are good source of omega-3 fatty acids and mono and polyunsaturated fats. Besides these walnuts are also rich with vitamin E; magnesium; folate; fiber. Other nuts like almonds and macadamia are also good for the heart. Because all these nuts contain the same nutrient.
- Avocado: Avocados are good source of heart-healthy fats. Avocados are excellent source of oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that helps to reduce cholesterol. Not only that, avocados are rich with potassium that controls the blood pressure. Avocados also raise the amount of HDL (High-density lipoprotein) in the body.
- Spinach: Low in sodium and high in potassium, spinach is a good food for heart. Folate or folic acid in spinach reduces the chance of developing high blood pressure or hypertension. Spinach is an excellent food for good cardiovascular health.
- Berries: These are full of anti-inflammatories and lower the chances of any heart disease or heart attack. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries – all are good for heart. But it is said that blueberries and blackberries are really great for heart health.
- Soy: Because of its lean protein soy is a good heart-healthy food. Soy milk is good to lower the cholesterol level. Soy protein preserves the HDL and lowers the triglyceride (a form of fat in the bloodstream) level.
- Legumes: Lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas are full of soluble fibers, omega-3 fatty acids and calcium. Legumes lower the risk of heart disease.
- Flaxseed: Omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids both can be found in flaxseed. It is helpful for lowering the LDL cholesterol levels. A good food for heart.
Besides all the above, tomatoes, lemon, carrots, broccoli, onions, garlic are good for the heart. All of these reduce bad cholesterol and fight free radical damage.