Five easy steps to healthy airways.
Image via Wikipedia
Bronchitis is the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the bronchi, the airways that carry air from the trachea to the lungs. Bronchitis often occurs during the course of a common cold or flu. There are ways that you can protect yourself from contracting bronchitis.
1. Clear your airways with steam- Take a hot shower or bath, or run a humidifier in your bedroom at night to provide the moisture your airways need to stay clear.
2. Boost your lungs with a balloon- Blowing up a balloon strengthens your lungs by improving their capacity and forcing you to take deeper breath, and helps move mucous out of the lungs.
3. Avoid cigarettes- Studies show that smokers are much more likely to develop bronchitis than nonsmokers. If your spouse, friends or coworkers smoke ask them to do so outside or away from you. Frequent irritation of your lungs from being exposed to secondhand smoke can cause bronchitis.
4. Suck on hard candy- The most common symptom of bronchitis is a cough that’s dry and hacking. Cough drops or hard candycan soothe a dry throat and lessen the urge to cough.
5. Sip bay leaf tea- According to herbalists, bay leaf tea is loaded with compounds that reduce swelling of the mucous membranes, making it easier to breathe. Just steep three leaves in hot water and drink three times a day.