Morgellons disease or syndrome, epitomised by coloured “wires” or fibres growing within human skin, sounds like something out of a horror film but it is very real – and if you live in the US, UK, France of Germany, it will more than likely be coming to a town near you – very soon.
Morgellons was first named in 2002, following a case where Mary Leitao’s son suffered from previously unidentified symptoms.
The disease has not been fully recognised by the medical community – and in many cases sufferers are treated for psychological psychosis rather than a real medical condition.
The disease seems to appear in geographical clusters which then spread out – In the US, clusters began in California, Texas and Florida.
In the UK, a number of cases have been confirmed in Liverpool, London, Hertfordshire, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Hampshire, Dorset and Devon.
In the UK particularly, the vast majority of the population have never heard of the disease.
• Severe Itching of the skin – accompanied by a sensation of crawling insects beneath the skin – stinging and biting from within
• The appearance of skin lesions (some like paper cuts / some like rashes / some large open wounds) which do not heal – often containing small black specks
• Lack of concentration, brain fog and memory loss, physical disorientation.
• The appearance of small “fibres” both within skin lesions and below unbroken skin – fibres are similar in consistency to carpet fibres and will be coloured green, red, blue, black or white – the fibres are individually 1 – 3mm long, often inter-woven and can be extracted with tweezers.
• Loss of energy and vitality
• Small white granules (similar size shape and colour of granulated sugar grains) falling from skin pores
• Inflamed lymph nodes
• Aching joints
• The fibres extracted from the skin of the sufferer, glow when exposed to ultra-violet light
• Fibres from a Morgellons sufferer were tested by forensic scientist Ron Pogue of the Tulsa police department – after checking the fibres against all known fibres within the FBI database, he concluded that the fibres were not man-made but a by-product of a biological organism.
• In a transcript of a lecture given by Edward Spencer MD to the Mayor and city council members of California in 2006
“I have practiced Neurology in Northern California for more than thirty years…
I will direct your attention to the blue fiber with the gold tip.
This was removed from a patient. This fiber did not burn until it has
been heated to 1700 degrees F. Compare that with hair, which is easily
burned producing a characteristic odor and has a cellular structure.
this blue fiber, ‘it has no eukaryotic cells, it has no cell membrane, it is not a parasite, it is not biological, it is a machine.”
Possible Causes of the Disease
There have been many possible causes of Morgellons put forward, here are a few of them:-