rss
3

Feeding Your Pet Table Food

As compassionate humans we often try to extend the best care possible towards taking care of our treasured pets but unfortunately, we frequently tend to over-due that concern. During holidays we treat our pet as an honored guest with its own small dish of turkey, mashed potatoes gravy and vegetables. We see no wrongful thinking here as we are merely being kind to our animals.

Feeding your pet table food

Joseph Parish

As compassionate humans we often try to extend the best care possible towards taking care of our treasured pets but unfortunately, we frequently tend to over-due that concern. During holidays we treat our pet as an honored guest with its own small dish of turkey, mashed potatoes gravy and vegetables. We see no wrongful thinking here as we are merely being kind to our animals. Regardless of how much we may think of our pet it is simply not in their best interests that they consume human table food. Feeding your family pet that same foodstuff which we as humans enjoy night after night is not only wrong but in particular cases can prove fatal to your loving animal. Some of our favorite human foods can cause sever illnesses and even death if devoured by our pets.

Good examples of these dangerous foods are chocolates, onions and garlic. There are chemical compositions within these foods which although they are safe for us frequently generate deadly problems for pets such as dogs or cats.

Let’s briefly review each of these foods in detail. Chocolate contains a chemical compound called theobromine which is not only a diuretic but a cardiac stimulant as well. When a dog encounters an overdose of chocolate he or she will become excessively excited and appear hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect of the chocolate your pet may start to produce excessive volumes of urine and appear continually thirsty. Other common symptoms may include vomiting and sudden diarrhea. The compound theobromine acting upon the heart is actually the most dangerous side effect of the chocolate. It will increase your pet’s heart rate as it creates an irregular beat. Upon exercising it is highly possible that death could occur.

Many owners immediately think that after consumption of vast amounts of chocolate that their pet is unaffected but the signs associated with chocolate toxicity and its resulting illness may not become apparent for several hours with potential death within a 24 hour period.

Veterinarians have found that cocoa powder or cooking chocolate represent the most toxic forms of this food ingredient. The pet does not need to consume a large amount of chocolate in order to be affected. A 10 kilogram dog can be affected eating a mere 60 grams of cocoa powder since this form of chocolate contains ten times the theobromine content found in the usual milk chocolate. Even the mere lick of your son or daughters chocolate birthday cake icing can make your pet unwell.

3
Liked it
RSSComments: 3  |  Post a Comment  |  Trackback URL
  1. Food, like about it

  2. Thanks for sharing this very informative article.

  3. Nice share….Well written…

RSSPost a Comment
comments powered by Disqus
-->