In childhood days, if the power goes off while we eat, we continue eating claiming that “the hand knows where the mouth is!” Sounded logical, but our grandmother and parents always advised against it, though they did not give acceptable reasons. Here are a few reasons behind this saying.
- It is indeed true that anybody with good brain-arm synchronization can eat even in pitch dark, as the hand knows where the mouth is. But that is not the point.
- In earlier days, especially in villages, there used to be many insects running in the rooms. Some places even had snakes, spiders and scorpions. These insects seek dark warm places to hide in case of danger. Some of them hide in such locations.
- Now come back to the plate. Normally, food is served hot or warm. So, the plate is an ideal spot for these critters to hide. Some even bump into the plate.
- Therefore, while picking food, there are chances to get bitten by these poisonous neighbors.
- Another point is that the cockroaches or ants venture into the food, especially if it is dark. When light is available, we would eliminate them before filling the mouth. However, this would not be possible in the absence of light.
- If you have a pet dog or a cat, and you are eating a dish that both like, in the dark, you both may be unknowingly sharing the same plate.
- Moreover, all dieticians and those in diet keep reemphasizing on watching what you eat, in terms or quality and quantity.
- Therefore, it is always good to eat while there is light.
- For those who love candle-light dinners. In the season where the swarm of flying ants or fireflies decides to leave their lair, they get distracted by the candle light and can fall in the food. So, either choose a good restaurant with enough protection or choose a better lit room, which lights far away from food vessels.
Disclaimer: This article is meant for educative and cautioning purpose and not to create disgust