We have a responsibility to guard our health and guard it enviously for if we lose it, if we dont take care of it, we lose everything else in return. Here are ten facts unknown to many people, facts that may be useful to you and your family.
You do not have to be a health professional or medical practitioner to take charge of your health status and that of your loved ones. There are important health facts that should always be at your fingertips. These are facts not always taught in medical school, facts that always come in handy, facts that have proven awesome in maintaining our health.
- Nearly all viral diseases known to man have no cure – Many people afflicted by viral diseases rush to buy broad spectrum antibiotics not knowing that antibiotics are meant to prevent or cure bacterial diseases, not viral diseases! Viral diseases can only be prevented by vaccination, sanitation, sterilization and disinfection among other preventive measures. The antibiotics misused by many patients actually generate resistance in the microbes!
- Our genetic constitution determines whether we fall sick or not – Infectious agents are all around us but we don’t always fall sick because of a group of genes located on the shorter arm of Chromosome six known as the MHC – The Major Histocompatibility Complex. The MHC determines our susceptibility or resistance to various diseases and also determines the success or failure of organ or tissue transplantation.
- Doctors too make mistakes – Most of us have been too quick to trust our health care providers. We have always assumed that medical information is too hard or complex for us to understand. This can’t be further from the truth. Do not hesitate to seek a second opinion for doctors too however well trained are bound to make mistakes. In most cases, diagnosis is based on the symptoms presented and the opinion of that health professional. Do not be scared into silence. Always seek to understand your condition. Either seek the opinion of another professional or use…you guessed it right, Google!
- The mind is always stronger than the body – The will to live and conquer death can actually postpone your demise. Some doctors have been known to kill their patients by a simple opinion like; you have six months to live, or six weeks. Some patients who fought this belief with a strong will went on to live another ten or twenty years, proving the inevitable. Our minds are stronger than our bodies and may determine whether we live or die. As proof of the same, patients in coma have thoughts and dreams of their own.
- Prevention is better than cure – this is a statement that has been used time and again but never been taken seriously by both individuals and the government. Governments especially those in the third world continue to spend a fortune on diseases whose prevention would have cost them next to nothing. Individuals too continue to focus on curative medicine at the expense of prevention. Most of us would rather take slimming pills that walk for thirty minutes everyday to cut weight. Most of us would rather undergo liposuction than focus on a healthy diet.
- Generic drugs have less potency – My dear goodness, this is a myth rather than a fact. So many patients believe this nonsense. When a particular brand is prescribed by a physician, many patients will never imagine taking the cheaper alternative offered by the chemist since they believe cheaper alternatives, popularly known as generics are less potent. Save your money and buy generic, they are often as good as those expensive brands prescribed and the composition is no different.
- Alternative medicine is cheaper than conventional treatment – Many patients believe that alternative medicine, also known as natural cure is cheaper compared to going to hospital, talking to a health practitioner and swallowing those pills prescribed. Not necessarily. Alternative medicine may have fewer if any side effects, but more often than not, it is either very expensive or very time consuming.
- Dietary cholesterol should be avoided at all cost – Nothing can be further from the truth. Cholesterol is a lipid alcohol necessary for the synthesis of all steroid hormones such as progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and aldosterone. Diseases associated with this lipid have a genetic predisposition rather than dietary. Whether you take it in the diet or not, the body will still synthesize this lipid for it is absolutely necessary.
- Doctors can heal almost anything – The medical field is complicated. There are more than 30,000 diseases of which only about 10,000 have been documented. Of these 10,000, only about 30% have a cure and even for those that have a cure, medical practitioners still depend on trial and error at times and symptomatic treatment in other cases. Doctors, however well trained, are human and can’t have absolute knowledge of all disorders associated with the human body.
- Your health is your responsibility – You heard me. Do not blame your parents, do not blame the government, and do not blame the society when disease strikes. Take full responsibility for your health, for passing the back when you or a loved one falls sick is completely missing the point. Nothing will eliminate pathogens overnight and neither can a government however democratic or communist guarantee absolute health. Do everything in your power to stay healthy. Exercise, eat healthy food, drink a lot of water and read Triond.