Super foods contained an almost perfect balanced nutritional properties for maximum health benefits. Unhealthy food choices, environmental pollutions and harmful chemical substances are often the catalyst of life-threatening diseases. To fight these pollutants and spare the human body system from acquiring chronic illnesses in the future, it is best to integrate these super foods in our daily meal.
Dr. Nicholas Perricone, American dermatologist, college professor and a best-selling author, who revolutionized dieting and beauty remedies through alternative medicine, revealed his top 10 list of super foods at the Oprah Winfrey show last January 2006. His list is in direct connection to beauty, brain and overall wellness.
- Acai Berry: correctly pronounced a-sigh-ee, is an amazing little fruit that belongs to berries family. It is relatively small, about the size of blueberry and resembles grapes in color. Clinical research studies in the University of Florida show that this fruit has nutritional properties that effectively kills human cultured cancer cells. It contains an almost perfect balanced of vitamins and traced minerals. Its antioxidants content are reportedly 30 times stronger than one found in grapes and other edible fruits. It has a highest score in ORAC test (orac is stands for oxygen radical absorbance capacity, it is a measurement developed by the Department of Agriculture in the United States to determine the antioxidant contents in a certain food). It has antioxidants called anthocyanins (flavonoids and polyphenols), that help prevent chronic diseases, it contains omega fatty acids and oleic acid, essentials for proper muscle functioning and blood circulation, it effectively help renew body cells and protect the system from the quick process of aging. Acai berry effectively cleanse digestive tract and colon preventing constipation, waste build-up, bloating, stomach discomforts and colon cancer. It has a very low rank of glycemic scalerate (scale in measuring sugar in carbohydrates). It has good amount of celadrin, a natural substance that lubricate cell membrane, alleviating joint problems like arthritis. Acai berry is prominently grows in the Amazon rainforest of Brazil and could not be exported fresh because it is highly perishable, in fact it is highly recommended to eat right away after plucking. So manufacturers converted it to food supplements through tablets, capsules, puree, smoothies and juice. They are all available in the market today, Extreme Acai berry, reportedly, is the most potent among different brands. It is 100% natural Acai formulations and free from caffeine and other harmful additives.
- Health benefits of Acai berry:
- Boosts energy levels and stamina
- Improves Immune system and mental focus
- Prevents chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disorder
- Improves normal blood circulation and helps lower bad cholesterol
- Flush out deadly toxin and waste substances, preventing constipation
- Controls weight gain through its fiber contents
- Fight free-radicals attack and inflammation, two main causes of pre-mature aging
- Revitalized body cells, giving a youthful glow
- Enhances sexual performance
- Alleviates depression and insomnia
- Improves vision and overall wellness
- Fights fatigue and stress
- Spices and Herbs: (onions, garlic, leeks, chives) they contain flavonoids, a kind of antioxidant derived from plants that prevent cancers and cardiovascular diseases. These foods belong to the Allium family which help stimulates the production of glutathione, the body’s master detoxifier used to cleanse liver, colon and improve skin pigmentation.
- Whole Grain Foods: refers to barley, wheat, oats, corn and brown rice, they are loaded with fibers, niacin, folate, protein and carbohydrates. Can be turned into fabulous cereals, stews and other concoctions. A whole grain food is extremely recommended for daily consumptions to augment missing vitamins and minerals in daily food intake. A cereal with bran is very high in folate, a b-vitamin food strongly recommended for women who are in a child bearing stage to prevent birth defects, important cells and tissues are started developing even before the first pregnancy occur. Barley contains lignans, a phytochemical substance that protects women from breast cancer.
- Beans and Lentils: refers to any kind of beans, they have high concentration of fibers, proteins and rank low in glycemic scale (sugar contents in carbohydrates). They are strongly recommended for people suffering from diabetes. The Department of Agriculture in the United States listed beans and lentils as highly nutritious because they are low in fat, calories and sodium.
- Concentrated green foods: refers to barley grass and other grain grasses, these edible grasses rank higher than green leafy vegetables in nutritional punches. They have similarities to pechay, cabbage, alugbati, kangkong and saluyot. They are beneficial for the prevention of cancers, high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Peppers: green and red bell peppers, chili and sweet peppers, including hot peppers found in Asian and Latin soils. They contained capsaicinoids, compounds which are anti-inflammation, analgesic and anti-cancer. Peppers also contained flavonoids and carotene, both fighters of carcinogen (form of cancer cells) and had been using in some parts of Asia as part of alternative medicine in curing high fever and arthritis.
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, peanuts, walnuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, they have high concentration of monounsaturated fats, omega fatty acids, Vitamin E and Vitamin A.
- Sprouts: produced from the seeds of plants that are about to bloom into vegetables, grains and legumes. They are good sources of antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Sprouts have higher content of enzymes than vegetables.
- Fruits and Vegetables: all fruits and vegetables provide the body with balanced nutritional properties. They work best tot fight chronic diseases and protect internal organs from damages due to harmful genetically motivated organism we get from eating foods with chemical formulations (foods in trendy restaurants and fast food chains).
- Yogurt: refers to fermented and cultured foods, they are strongly recommended for daily consumption to prevent constipation. It has live microorganisms that fight bad bacteria. It aids proper digestion and help cleanse digestive tract. Yogurt is a good replacement of ice creams.
These top 10 super foods pumped the body with perfect vitamins and minerals, daily consumption of these help prevent life-threatening diseases in the long run. It is also recommended to drink plenty of water to replenish the lost moisture. Soft drinks, coffee and alcoholic beverages are strongly discourage; aside from calories and sugars, these beverages bring more toxin and waste build-up in the system that. Consumption of meat should be limited into lean meat variety and not advisable for daily consumption, since it is hard to digest and retain in the system longer, creating more trouble in the digestive tract and intestinal wall. Healthy lifestyle is the sure key to overall wellness.