Cellulite is the lumpy substance that is commonly found on the thighs, stomach, and butt. Most girls and women have it. Even some men have it.
I hate cellulite and I am sure you do too. Many of us have it in varying degrees and it seems to get worse as we get older. Have you ever wondered how it is formed? This article will let you have a better understanding of cellulite and the weapons to fight and reduce the appearance of it.
15 Things to Know About Cellulite
Check if you have cellulite by pinching the skin around your upper thigh or butt. You probably have it if it looks slightly lumpy.
- Cellulite occurs in the subcutaneous fat layer. When fat cells expand, they push against fibrous connective tissues beneath the skin to create an orange-peel appearance.
- The swelling of fat cells may impede blood microcirculation and make it difficult for the lymphatic drainage system to flush out any build-up of fluids, fats and toxins. This worsens the dimply effect.
- Cellulite is not directly related to obesity so even skinny people may suffer from it.
- Genetics influencing the number of fat cells, hormonal sensitivity and blood/lymphatic circulation in an individual can affect cellulite presence.
- With age comes a loss in the skin tone and thickness, making cellulite more visible.
- Cellulite can appear on arms, and even neck, besides thighs, butt and abdomen.
- Men can experience cellulite woes too. Theirs are just not as visible due to the different distribution and alignment of their fat cells.
- Ditch fatty junk food for a healthy diet to reduce bottom fat layers from expanding and pushing the subcutaneous fat layer upwards to form cellulite.
- Instead of flushing toxins away, over-hydration can accentuate cellulite appearance.
- Lifestyle factors that might cause cellulite include smoking, drinking of alcohol, imbalanced diet and lack of exercise.
- Regular exercise may smoothen dimply skin by toning muscles and increasing blood/lymphatic circulation. But results depend on consistency, age, quality of skin elastin as well as genetics.
- Don’t worry, be happy – prolonged stress can lead to increased fat storage at cellulite prone areas such as the butt and thighs.
- Consider getting a tan as cellulite is less obvious on darker skin.
- Massages may help to break down the fibrous tissue bands while increasing both lymphatic and blood circulation.
- Anti-cellulite creams containing herbs, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins may aid skin repair, stimulate blood flow, exfoliate, hydrate and smoothen skin.
Weapons of Mass Reduction – Cellulite Busters
Let’s be cellulite-free and have slim legs like these girls…
Celluli Laser Biofibrine (Biotherm) – Peach-pink body contour gel to smoothen orange-peel skin with natural ingredients like gingko, cola nut, ginseng and caffeine.
Rodial Body Sculpture (Sccube The Apothecary) – Celebrities like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie and Kelly Osborne are fans of this quick-absorbing violet gel of bio-marine actives, wheat protein and caffeine.
Body Styling Serum (Kose) – Super Form Net Formula with extracts like chilli pepper, green tea and coix seed to promote metabolism, reduce cellulite and firm sagging skin.
Ab Rescue Body Sculpting Gel (Lab Series for Men) – Energy-enhanced thermogenic gel of caffeine, creatine, soybean protein and natural sugar-derived acetyl glucosamine to tone and renew skin cells for a smoother look.
Cristalle 21 Svelte Curve – Essence of seaweed, birch and ivy to promote fat burning, detoxification and water retention.
Body Shaping Cream (Clarins) – Streamline your silhouette with this mix of Sveltonyl (plant and algae complex), caffeine, bamboo as well as mangosteen extracts.
Lemon Body Oil (Dr Hauschka) – Pure lemon essential oil discourages cellulite formation by strengthening connective tissue.
Celluli-breaker Tan Stimulator (Lancaster) – This pearlescent non-greasy cream gel boasts green coffee and yerba mate (South American plant) extracts to prevent fat accumulation. It has a Tan Activator Complex to stimulate melanin production for a golden tan.
NIVEA My Silhouette – Fragranced gel-cream of white tea and anis extracts to activate cell-metabolism and stimulate collagen production for body reshaping.
Body Focus Cellulite Serum (The Body Shop) – Active ingredients like amino acids, caffeine, makandi mint extract, vitamins B and C as well as fatty acids from soya oil are held in a matrix on the skin after application for sustained time released.