The challenges we face in everyday life drain us out and we buckle under stress. Here are a few home remedies and natural methods to fight stress and lead a full life.
OK, so what do I know about home remedies for stress? Well, having had mood swings all my life and having constantly searched for ways to beat stress, I collected quite a few home remedies for stress along the way. These natural or herbal treatments have been good in helping me relax and soothe my mind. I have not tried all these treatments but I have combined some of these with yoga and feel a little less stressed-out these days.
- Try this- Take a glass of drinking water and add 10-15 holy basil leaves in it. Leave it for a few hours. Remove the holy basil leaves and keep them aside carefully. Relax your mind a bit of focus your attention on something- God, scenery, anything that gives you peace for a few seconds or chant “Om” aloud and then drink the water. Now, add a little honey to the leaves and eat them. Do this twice a day.
- Drink a glass of warm milk mixed with honey everyday. Milk and other dairy products are considered great stress relievers in Ayurveda.
- Walk or do some form of exercise. Try to smile when you walk, this will de-stress you and convert your negative thoughts to positive.
- Eat a lot of “healthy” food like green leafy vegetables, whole-wheat products, pulses and grams, salads, fruits etc.
- Drink a lot of water. Water clears the stress-producing toxin from the body.
- Make sure you are getting a good dose of Vitamins, potassium and calcium. Eat eggs, banana, soybeans etc.
- Take a hot water bath; if possible give your body an oil massage before the bath.
- If your head is aching due to stress and you are feeling hot, take half a bucket of cold water and immerse your feet in it till the water is no longer cool. This is very good for the headache and provides stress relief within minutes. Try to think positive or keep your mind blank when your feet are in water, or listen to soothing music. I listen to the sound of waterfalls on my iPod.
- Smelling carom seeds is said to be good, however, I have not found it very effective for combating stress. You can try and find out for yourself.
- After a long stressful day, wash your hands, feet and face with cold water. This really helps.
- Do avoid caffeine alcohol and anything that contains tobacco. All these increase the level of stress.
Hope the tips above helped. Remember to keep smiling. I truly hope you feel at ease and become cheerful soon!