Spider bites can be painful and alarming. Knowing that you have solutions in your own cabinet can soothe the bite and your worries.
Image via Wikipedia
There are only two spiders that are considered to be of dangerous toxicity in the United States; the brown recluse spider, and the black widow spider. There are other spiders that are venemous, however, they are much less likely to be deadly. If you are sure that you were bitten by a spider, but are unsure about how to identify it, catch the spider beneath a glass, bowl or bottle and call your doctor immediately. For bites that do not require emergency care, there are several home remedies used to treat painful spider bites.
Baking soda and water, butter, or garlic juice can be mixed into a paste that you can apply directly to the open bite in an attempt to draw out venom.
Slice a potato to apply directly to the spider bite, or grate a potato to apply it to the bite with a gauze pad. Potatoes are thought to draw out spider venom.
If a spider bite becomes infected, you should contact your physician; however some apply bread to weeping spider bites. The bread draws out the fluids collecting at the surface of the bite.
Use a mortar and pestle to create a powder from dried basil. Place the powdered basil in the open sore to help avoid infection.
Use cold compresses to soothe your pain and swelling. Do not use hot compresses when treating spider bites, as the heat will increase the rate with which the venom is absorbed, accellerating the impact.
Soak cotton balls with witch hazel and apply to the entire area. Witch hazel has a cooling effect, soothes pain and itching, and acts as an antiseptic.
Seek Medical Attention
If you have reason to believe that you have been bitten by a black widow spider or brown recluse spider, seek medical attention immediately. Some believe that there are home remedies that can stay the venom of a brown recluse spider, however, it is better to live to be wrong than to die trying to be right. A bite from the black widow or brown recluse can be life threatening if not attended to right away. This article is by no means a substitute for professional medical advice.