When you get a splinter in your finger it is really annoying. Want to know how to get rid of it? Read on to find out.
Getting a splinter in your finger will not kill you (unless it is a very, very, very, very large one) but they can cause a bit of pain and discomfort and are extremely annoying. Your body will naturally push the splinter out but this can take many days. If you don’t want to wait for your body to do that, there are some things you can do yourself to get rid of the splinter.
Image via Wikipedia
- If the top of the splinter is still sticking out quite a bit you could try just picking it out with your other hand.
- If the top of the splinter is only sticking out a small bit you could try putting some sellotape over it and then pulling the tape off. If you are lucky, the top of the splinter will have stuck to the tape and will come out along with it.
- If neither of those options work, you could try soaking it in warm water for a few minutes and then gently try and prise the splinter out with a needle.
- Before using a needle on it, you will have to make sure the needles is sterilised. The simplest way to do this is to hold the needle over the blue part of a flame and then leave it to cool down.
- Using just the tip of the sterile needle (the pointy end) gently scrape away the skin immediately around the splinter. (Gently being the operative word – you don’t want to break the skin and start bleeding)
- Once you have got into the position of prising the splinter out a bit with the sterile needle, get ready to grasp the end of the splinter, either with your fingers or with some tweezers.
- Once the splinter is out, wash and dry the affected area and (if need be) apply some antiseptic cream.