Give yourself a lift with these tips.
Nearly everyone feels inadequate at times. Whenever this happens to you, don’t despair. Just try any one of the following suggestions. Soon, you will remember who you are and what you can do when you put your mind to it.
- Remember a past moment of victory. Think of the day that you received some special recognition for an accomplishment. It might be the day you graduated or completed an important certificate. Maybe it was a time that you said you were going to something big and you actually did it. Remember that feeling.
- If you are a procrastinator, do something that you have been putting off. Better yet, if it is something that you find particularly upsetting and you can delegate that task to someone who isn’t bothered by it, then do so. At any rate, get something done that you have been putting off so that you can cross it off of your to-do list. You will be unburdened by the worry of it and you will remember that you can accomplish something.
- Care for other people, a pet or a plant. Doing that takes your focus off of yourself and gives you a sense of importance in relation to other people and the world around you.
- Do something that you like to do and that you know you’re good at. If you are an artist, practice your art. If you are good at a particular craft, do it. Show off your work. You will see how much your efforts are appreciated by others.
- Focus on your uniqueness and never compare yourself to other people. You are a one-of-a-kind individual endowed with special talents and qualities. When you make the most of that, you are a shining star in your own right. Be yourself and surround yourself with people who appreciate you for what you are.