Think about the actors, actresses, models, and professional athletes whom you see in the movies and on TV. Actors and actresses usually are very attractive. Models often are very tall and slender. Professional athletes usually are very physically fit. They all have special talents.
It is OK to want to be recognized for your special talents and for your appearance. But you need to set your own standards rather than comparing yourself to others. What talents do you have and how can you develop them? How can you look your best?
Anabolic steroids are drugs that are used to increase muscle size and strength. But, steroids can harm health.
An eating disorder is an emotional disorder in which a person chooses harmful eating patterns. To resist pressures to have a perfect body:
· Do not set unrealistic standards for your appearance.
· Do not compare yourself to others.
· Do not be influenced by ads that say you will look a certain way if you buy a certain product or eat a special food.
· Use resistance skills and say NO if you are pressured to use anabolic steroids.
· Use resistance skills and say NO if you are pressured to try a harmful diet.
· Do not use your weight as an excuse for avoiding social or physical activities.
What are eating disorders?
An eating disorder is an emotional disorder in which a person chooses harmful eating patterns. There are different kinds of eating disorders.
Binge eating disorder is an eating disorder in which a person frequently stuffs himself or herself with food. People with this disorder eat beyond the point of being full. This disorder also is known as compulsive overeating.
Binge eating disorder is a common cause of obesity.
Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder in which a person stuffs himself or herself and then rids the body of food. It is commonly called bulimia.
A laxative is a drug that helps a person have a bowel movement. A diuretic is a drug that increases the amount of urine the body excretes.
Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder in which a person starves himself or herself and has a low body weight. It is commonly called anorexia. Females develop anorexia more frequently than males. People with anorexia weight 15 percent or more below their desirable weight.