This green fruit has been in use by humans for thousands of years and in some cultures is considered the perfect food because of all its health benefits. Here are some of the more common health benefits of avocados.
- Lower cholesterol: Avocados contain oleic acid, which has been shown in studies to lower the levels of bad cholesterol in those who eat avocados regularly. Avocado also contains beta-sitosterol, a natural sterol that is supposed to help with cholesterol levels.
- Blood pressure: Avocados also contain a good amount of potassium, which is important in keeping blood pressure lowered. Also, the potassium helps to counteract sodium, which forces the body to store unnecessary fluid which can build up around the heart.
- Skin care: The avocado is known for its ability to be absorbed into the skin. Which is a good thing because avocado also has a soothing and softening effect on skin, and some even believe it has regenerative effects. So smear a little avocado on your face. Or look for skin products that contain avocado or avocado oil.
- Breast cancer: Remember that oleic acid mentioned above? Well, studies have shown oleic acid also helps to prevent breast cancer and possibly can even help patients who already suffer from breast cancer. And what has this oleic acid? Avocados.
- Cataracts: Avocados also have plenty of carotenoid lutein, which is also found in carrots (carotenoid … get it?). This carotenoid lutein is great for helping to prevent cataracts, vision degeneration and other problems with eyesight. But always remember to check with your doctor when you have any health problems.
- Strokes: Folate is a form of vitamin B9, and studies have suggested those who have a regular intake of folate have a much lower risk of stroke. Avocados have folate. So why not try an avocado?
- Oral cancer: Phytonutrients in avocados have been shown to combat pre-cancerous and cancerous oral cells in humans without damaging normal cells. Nutritionists have also shown that Haas avocados are the type of avocado to contain the most phytonutrients. So stock up!
- Malnutrition: Avocados are an excellent source of food for those suffering from malnutrition. The reason for this is that avocados contain many, many different vitamins and minerals that are all important for the body.
- Digestive problems: Fiber is usually the key to better digestion, and avocados have their fair share of fiber. So if you have an upset stomach or troubles with your intestines, you might give avocados a try to see if they can help you.
- Sunburns: Not only is the avocado good for softening the skin, as mentioned above, but because of its natural oils and ease of absorption into the skin, it also helps to ease the pains suffered from sunburns. Maybe you should take some avocado with you the next time you go to the beach.
Other health links