By jharmon on February 18th, 2010
Much like the apple, can a banana a day keep the doctor away? Maybe or maybe not, but this popular yellow fruit still offers plenty of health benefits.
- Ulcers: Bananas are a great food for ulcer patients, one of the few foods many ulcer patients can eat without suffering setbacks and pain. Why is this? Bananas lower the levels of acid in gastric juices in the stomach, and build a protective coating inside the stomach.
- Minor burns: Yes, bananas can provide pain relief from minor burns and other wounds. The best way to accomplish this is to mash up the inside of a banana, then wrap it in a cloth or paper towel and place it on the burnt area. Pain relief should begin quite soon.
- Energy: Sugar provides he body energy, and bananas have three types of natural, healthy sugars: fructose, glucose and sucrose. So get a little pep in your step by starting your day of with a banana.
- Anemia: Anemia is the most common of blood disorders, usually being a decrease in the normal number of red blood cells. Guess what helps with anemia? Iron. Guess what fruit has lots of iron? Bananas. The iron in bananas helps stimulate the growth of hemoglobin in the body, which can help with anemia.
- Blood pressure: Bananas are also quite high in potassium, which can help to reduce blood pressure (and possibly help against all heart disease). The potassium in bananas helps to combat sodium, which is a big no-no for those with heart conditions and high blood pressure.
- PMS: That’s right. Bananas are even good for the pains of PMS. It’s the high levels of vitamin B6 in bananas which help to regulate blood glucose levels, which affects the moods and pains of women suffering PMS.
- Cramping: All that potassium in bananas also is good for cramping, allowing the body’s muscle to more freely contract and expand. This is especially important for the athletic.
- Constipation: Bananas are a natural, light laxative, allowing the body to deal with constipation without turning to diarrhea. It’s all that natural fiber found in bananas that helps with this trick. But if you have serious health concerns, always consult a doctor.
- Depression: Believe it or not, bananas are great for lifting ones mood. Bananas contain tryptophan, a mood leveling protein also found in turkey. And like chocolate, bananas contain norepinephrine and serotonin, which can help one relax. Also, the vitamin B in bananas helps to calm the nervous system. Put all this together, and you’ve got a natural high.
- Smoking: That’s right, bananas can even help those who are trying to stop smoking. The combination in bananas of vitamins A1, C, B6 and B12, along with all that potassium, helps those who are trying to quit smoking from nicotine withdrawal.
Other health links