Juicy watermelons are indeed packed with some of the best antioxidants in nature.
Watermelons are best during the Summer season because they are sweet,soft and juicy. They are indeed the best thirst quenchers. They contain different types of antioxidants and vitamins, and are also useful in case of many diseases.
Some amazing facts about watermelons are:
1) Scientific name of watermelon is Citrullus Lanatus and it belongs to family of Curcurbitaceae. Other members of this family are cucumbers,pumpkins and squash.
2) Watermelon contains 92% water.
3) Nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt, the first recorded watermelon harvest was done .
4) The most consumed melon in the U.S. is watermelon by weight.
5) Bill Carson of Arrington, TN grew the largest watermelon weighing 262 pounds in 1990, that is still on the Guinness Book of World Records.
6) The first cookbook published in the U.S. in 1776 contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles.
7) Early explorers used watermelons as canteens.
Health benefits of watermelons
Watermelons contains some of the best antioxidants in nature. They contain vitamin A,vitamin B6,vitamin C and potassium. According to researches, watermelons are good for cardiovascular diseases, colon cancer and diabetes too.
1) Vitamin A found in watermelon improves our eye health and boosts immunity by enhancing the infection-fighting actions of white blood cells called lymphocytes.
2) Vitamin B6 found in watermelon improves the immune system by producing antibodies which are needed for fighting against diseases. It also helps in maintaining normal nerve function and forms red blood cells which is used for breaking down proteins.
3) Vitamin C in watermelon helps in improving the immune system’s defenses against infections and viruses and protects our body from harmful free radicals that can accelerate aging and conditions such as cataracts.
4) Potassium contained in watermelon is necessary for water balance of our body. People with low potassium levels can experience muscle cramps.
So, enjoy this summer with watermelons and improve your health.
After all, “Health is Wealth” and “A sound mind resides in a sound body”.
To know about Watermelon Juice Recipe, click below link: