By bigeyesgirl on May 29th, 2011
It depends on what we eat to be healthy and feel and look young…
- Cucumbers are good for the skin. The silica in the peel helps reduce wrinkles and boost collagen. Buy them unwaxed if possible.
- Blood oranges contain anthocyanins, antioxidants that combat free radical damage and UV rays.
- Cod contains selenium which safeguards your skin from sun damage and cancer.
- Mango provides 96% of your daily vitamin C needs and helps prevent periodontal disease.
- Lowfat cottage cheese is full of protein, and therefore promotes hair health (since hair is mostly protein). Just be wary of hidden sodium levels.
- Lean beef is full of iron. Iron deficiency can cause nail beds to be thin and concave.
- Foods of the Mediterranean: fennel, an anti-inflammatory; octopus, a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids, B12, iron and zinc; gigantes beans, giant lima beans rich in potassium
- Oysters an excellent source of zinc, which aids in protein synthesis and collagen formation.
- Red peppers and brussels sprouts are rich in vitamin C, which help build collagen and fight off free radicals.
- Blueberries 1 serving of this superfood provides more antioxidant activity than most fruits and veggies. Antioxidants fight the free radicals that cause wrinkles.
- Sunflower seeds contain lignin phytoestrogens, which prevent collagen breakdown and boost the skin’s lipid barrier.
- Tuna contains Omega-3 fatty acids that fight UV-related cell damage and are a rich source of niacin, a deficiency of which causes skin rashes.