Barley is a wonderfully versatile cereal grain- very rich source of nutrients especially fiber and selenium. Barley, a good health food with lots of health benefits.
Barley is one of the most energy efficient foods and you can add it to your diet very easily by mixing ix to your soup or stew. Health benefits of barley include its ability to fight obesity, energy enhancement, protection from diseases.
There are different forms of barley can be found in the market-
- Hulled Barley- Barley in its hulled form contains large amount of nutrients.
- Barley Grass- A great source of antioxidants. Also, rich with vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Pearl Barley- It’s the processed barley and easily available in grocery stores.
- Barley Flakes- Almost look like oat, barley flakes can be made from hulled or pearl barley.
- Barley Grits or Flour- Made from hulled barley, it’s a good substitute of wheat flour.
Health Benefits of Barley:
- Barley is the richest source of fiber; also, protein, vitamins, minerals and amino acids in barley is very good for general health.
- Tocotrienols- an oxidant in barley reduces the chance of heart disease and cholesterol problems.
- Barley improves blood sugar levels of those who are suffering from diabetes.
- Fiber in barley prevents the formation of gallstones in women.
- Helps to maintain a healthy intestine.
- Barley is also good to reduce the risk of developing diseases like- colon cancer, haemorrhoids, atherosclerosis, diabetes, insulin resistance and ischemic stroke.
- Barley is a rich source of phosphorous helps to which structure and repair body tissues.
Other than those barley is good for controlling hypertension and works as an anti-aging food.
There’s no doubt that barley is good for heath with its many health benefits but it belongs to the grain groups called gluten grains. So, it can be allergic to some people.