If you are diabetic or have a high blood sugar there are plenty of foods that you cannot eat. But don’t be depress or sad there are also many foods that you can eat.
According to dietitians, foods that are low in Glycemic Index or GI are best recommended for people with diabetes because these will release glucose more slowly and steadily. On the other hand, it should be noted that carbohydrates that break down quickly during digestion and release glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI.
As we all know, many fruits and vegetables are low in GI and so these are good for people who have diabetes or high blood sugar.
Here’s a list of recommended foods with low GI
Fructose is a white solid that dissolves readily in water and can be found in many foods. Fruit trees and berries are good source of fructose. It is also called levulose.
Honey, which is also a good source of fructose, is a mixture of sugars and other compounds. This super food, which does not spoil, contains 38.5% of fructose and 31% of glucose. Aside from vitamins and minerals, honey also contains maltose, sucrose, and other complex carbohydrates.
Cheese is a great source of protein, calcium, fat and phosphorous. Proper amount of cheese in take lessen heart diseases. Because cheese is rich in calcium, it also helps in the prevention of tooth decay. It protects the tooth enamel and increases flow of saliva that helps in washing away acid and sugar. It has been found out that cheese has antibacterial effect in the mouth.
Yoghurt, a nutritious dairy product which has been around about 5,400 years ago, is a common food from around the world. This food that provides unique health benefits is very rich in calcium, protein, vitamin B5 & 12 and riboflavin. It also help improves gastrointestinal conditions. It is also excellent for the gum and perfect for weight loss.
Legumes are best serve along with grains because a combination of these foods forms a well-balanced diet for vegetarians. Here are some of the most popular legumes; peas, clover, beans, lentils, alfalfa, lupins, soy and peanuts.
Pasta is another food that is low in GI. It contains minerals, vitamin B1 & B2 and provides starch and carbohydrates. Pasta is low in fat and protein.
7. Macopa (Syzygium samarangense)
This fruit which is abundant and native to the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries is known with a variety of common names like Wax Apple, Bellfruit, Wax Jambu, Chambekka, Jamrul, Zamalac and many others.
Oatmeal is one of the most recommendable foods with low GI. Health benefits that we can get from regular consumption of oatmeal include:
- It is a good source of B vitamins and calories.
- It can lower blood cholesterol.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It has high content of complex carbohydrates and water soluble fiber.
- It encourages slow digestion.
- It stabilizes blood-glucose levels.
- The Best Fruits To Eat To Beat The Summer Heat
- 7 Recommended Foods For People With High Blood Sugar and Diabetes
- 10 Healthiest Foods in the World
- Attention: Foods to Eat to Boost Brain Power
- Watch Out: Foods to Eat to Stay Cool on the Job
- 12 Vitamin-Rich Exotic Fruits From the Philippines (and other Tropical Areas)
- 12 Exotic Tropical Fruits: How Many of These Have You Tasted?
- Four of the World’s Most Healthiest and Favorite Fruits
- Weirdest and Unusual shapes of Fruits
- The 10 Largest Fruits in the World
- 10 Takeout Foods That Reveal Your Personality