Honey is one of the wonderful gifts given by Mother Nature and popular for its amazing health benefits. It has been in use for thousands of years as a natural remedy for many ailments. It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
Manuka honey is produced from the blossoms of the Tea Tree found in New Zealand’s coastal areas. Manuka honey is famous for its Unique Manuka Factor (UMF).
- Manuka honey is rich in antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral and antioxidant properties
- It is very efficient in treating stomach ulcer, indigestion and sore throats
- It combats against allergies and hay fever
- It efficiently treats acne, arthritis, athlete’s foot and blisters
- It works like a medicine for all wounds, burns and insect bites
Buckwheat honey has dark color and a strong spicy odor. It is considered as the strongest and darkest of honey varieties. It is mainly produced in New York, Minnesota, Ohio and Eastern Canada.
- Buckwheat honey is rich in iron
- It has more antioxidant compounds
- It is very efficient in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and cancer
Linden honey has yellow color and a fresh woody scent. Linden honey is made from yellow-white linden flowers which are commonly grown throughout Denmark.
- Linden honey is good diaphoretic
- It is helpful in treating anxiety and insomnia
- It is also useful in treating respiratory diseases like bronchitis, cough and cold
Alfalfa honey is produced from purple and blue blossoms. It has light color, mild floral aroma and less sweet than other types of honey. It is produced in Canada and United States. It is widely used in baked foods and tea.
- Alfalfa honey is used to treat kidney related diseases
- It increases appetite and regulates digestive system
- It is very efficient in treating anemia and PMS
Heather honey is in thick, amber color and has a strong and pungent flavor. It is made from blossoms of heather in Europe particularly from the UK.
- Heather honey enhances the power of digestive system
- It is rich in proteins
- It resolves malignity of tumors
Acacia is one of the sweetest varieties of honey. It has high concentration of fructose. It is made from acacia flowers. It has mild taste and does not crystallize.
- Acacia it is the best choice for diabetics as it has low sucrose content
- It regulates intestinal function
- It cleanses liver
- It fights against respiratory diseases
Eucalyptus honey is widely produced in California. It has dark color and a strong herbal flavor.
- Eucalyptus honey can heal wounds, cuts, burns, sores and ulcers
- It removes stress and rejuvenates your body and mind
- Apply eucalyptus honey on the surface area to treat inflammation
- It also relieves joint and muscle pain
- It gives protection against cough, cold and headaches
Pine Tree Honey
Pine Tree honey is collected from the flowers of honeydew or tea tree. It has strong aroma and tastes a little bitter. It is also known as forest honey and mainly produced in Greece.
- Pine Tree honey is rich in mineral and proteins
Precautions to Take When Using Honey
- According to the Ayurveda honey generates heat in the body so avoid using honey in hot seasons
- Never take heated honey as it acts like a poison
- Never consume honey in equal quantity with fats and oil, particularly with mustard oil
- Honey is dangerous to infants
- Though honey has many medicinal benefits, pregnant women and breast feeding mothers should check with physicians before consuming it