Fenugreek is a wonder herb. It is known for its ability to heal and especially for its importance in the treatment of diabetes. Let’s explore the health benefits of fenugreek…
Fenugreek belongs to the Fabaceae family and of the genus Trigonella. Fenugreek is used as a herb and also as a spice. The leaves of the fenugreek are mostly use as the herb. Fenugreek is also called “Greek Hay” and it’s been used as traditional medicine in India and China. Today India is the largest producer of fenugreek in the world. Other major fenugreek producing countries are Egypt, China, France, Spain, Argentina and Morocco.
Although, fenugreek seeds and leaves are bitter in taste but they are a part of the Asian cuisine, especially the Indian cuisine. The strong nutritional profile of this herb makes it a real food for health. Fenugreek is rich in Vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, Vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate, protein and dietary fiber. It is also rich with the minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium and selenium. Fenugreek also contains alkaloids and steroidal saponins like diosgenin, yamogenin, tigogenin, and neotigogenin.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek:
- Fenugreek is an excellent remedy for diabetes. It controls the blood sugar levels and improves glucose tolerance. It is very good for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes patients. Consuming powder of the fenugreek seeds or eating the seeds after soaking them overnight, both are very good for diabetes patients.
- Fenugreek is also good for the heart health. It reduces cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels and lowers the risk of heart attack significantly. It’s a good source of dietary fiber which is helpful in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- It is a good remedy for skin problems such as burns, eczema, and gout. Fenugreek has the ability to cure skin inflammation. Paste of fenugreek leaves can be applied on the inflamed body parts for the healing. It is useful in the prevention of rashes, wrinkles and blackheads.
- It’s a good herbal remedy for the hair loss. It prevents dandruff, strengthens hair and also prevents greying of hair. Applying the paste of the fenugreek seeds and adding fenugreek to regular diet both can help to cure hair problems.
- It is said that chewing fenugreek seeds on an empty stomach is very helpful in losing weight. Fiber content of it makes the stomach full for a longer time even if you consume it in a little amount.
- It aids the digestion and helps to treat constipation and diarrhoea. It’s a good food for the metabolism and it purifies the blood by flushing out the harmful toxins from the body.
- Fenugreek seeds are very good remedy against heartburn or Acid Reflux. It helps to soothe gastrointestinal inflammation.
- Fenugreek intake helps to regulate menstruation cycle. It is also very good for soothing the symptoms of menstruation and menopause.
- It can increase the breast milk production significantly. Certain oil in fenugreek is responsible for this boost in milk production.
- Anti-carcinogenic properties especially diogenin in fenugreek is very effective in preventing cancers including colon cancer.
In addition, fenugreek is also useful in the treatment of fever and sore throat. Because of the fact that it helps to reduce the inflammation that’s why it can be helpful to ease arthritis problems. Fenugreek is good for kidney related troubles as well.