Nutmeg is a common spice native to Indonesia. It’s used in many international dishes and cooking.
Nutmeg is a widely used fragrant spice used in many International dishes and in cooking. It is native to Indonesia.
10 Interesting facts about Nutmeg
1) Between 10,000 to 12,000 tons of Nutmeg are produced each year!
2) Nutmeg was considered very valuable in England. In fact, a few nutmegs could be sold and a person would be financially well off for life
3) Malcolm X had talked in his autobiography about inmates diluting nutmeg power into water and drinking the mixture to get a drunk effect
4) Nutmeg injected intravenously will kill a person
5) Nutmeg is made up of myristicin, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, which in large doses can create palpitations, convulsions, severe dehydration, nausea, and body pain
6) Connecticut is well known for being called the Nutmeg State, because peddlers would sell fake nutmegs to gullible housewifes
7) The Romans had burned nutmeg for incense
Nutmeg oil is useful to lower stress levels and to stimulate the brain
9) A nutmeg tree takes 10 years to mature and produce nutmeg
10) The nutmeg can be seen in the flag of Grenada, a Caribbean island. Grenada was the second largest producer of nutmeg
Nutmeg tree Nutmeg spice
All photos courtesy of Google