Mushrooms have been used in traditional medicine in China for thousands of years. Recent discoveries show that mushroom varieties like Shitek, Enoki have antiviral, antibacterial and anticancer features. Mushrooms are not only delicious but also rich in nutrients.
Mushrooms are neither plants nor animals. But they have the qualities of the both and belong to fungi. They grow in cold environment. The fungus which grows under the soil is plant, it has a fruit which is visible and umbrella shaped. This has many seeds and they are called spores. The spores fall down and from them the mushrooms grow. Some seeds can be in dormant state for years and they can grow only in favorable environments. Out of 14,000 varieties only 2000 varieties are edible. There are many types of mushroom varieties like Crimini, Portabella, Oyster, Shitek, Enoki, Guchi etc.
Mushrooms are not only delicious but also rich in nutrients like proteins, fiber etc. Carbohydrates, fats and salts are very less. They are even rich in folic acid which is not available in many vegetables. They are rich in amino acids like Lysine, Tryptophan etc and vitamins like Thymine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Biotin, Cobalamine (B complex) and C vitamin. Calcium, Iron and other minerals are also present in mushrooms which are useful for kids and anemic people. It has plenty of antioxidants like Ergothionine, Selenium which reduce heart diseases, diabetes, obesity, cancer and cholesterol. Guchi variety which has higher nutrients when compared to other varieties is very useful for patients and weak people. This works like a tonic for the people who have stomach diseases. That’s why Guchi variety is very popular in Unani medicine.
Mushrooms have been used in traditional medicine in China for thousands of years. Recent discoveries show that mushroom varieties like Shitek, Enoki have antiviral, antibacterial and anticancer features. We can improve our resistance by eating mushrooms frequently. They prevent cold, flue and malaria too.
In mushrooms there are other varieties like Psilocybe (liberty cap) and Amanita muscaria (Fly agaric) etc which are called psycho active or magic mushrooms. We feel as if we are flying in the air when we eat these varieties. The chemicals in these mushrooms are the reason for this. These are not harmful as long as we take limited quantities. And now a days Psilocybe is being used as a medicine for people who have psychological disorders. So eat mushroom and stay healthy…
Here is a recipe with mushrooms. You can enjoy the yummy yummy mushroom tikka.
- 15-20 fresh button mushrooms
- 3 medium sized chopped onions
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 chopped green chillies
- A bunch of fresh coriander leaves
- A bunch of curry leaves
- 3 table spoons of oil to fry
- 3 medium sized bread slices
- Boil potatoes thoroughly, mash them and keep aside.
- Boil mushrooms for 10-15 minutes, drain them.
- Then chop them finely and keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat the oil in it.
- Add onions and fry it till they turn into golden brown.
- Then add mushrooms to it and fry till the moisture in them get evaporates.
- Now add green chillies to it and mix thoroughly.
- Next add mashed potato, coriander leaves and curry leaves to it and mix well.
- Now switch off the stove.
- Shape the mixture into fine tikkas (round ball shape).
- Take bread slices and mash them till they become fine powder.
- Roll the tikkas in bread powder.
- Now heat oil in a pan.
- Fry the tikkas until they turn into golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or any of your favorite sauce.