All of us know that carrots are good for vision and immunity. There are various colors of carrots due to the presence of various pigments in them. And different colors of carrots have different health benefits.
Carrots are a wonderful source of vitamin A. They are also good source of many minerals like potassium, manganese, folate, phosphorus, magnesium etc. and vitamins like B1, B3, B6, C and K. They are very good source of dietary fiber.
These carrots originate from Europe and the Middle East. Orange carrots are rich source of beta carotene and some amount of alpha carotene.
- Orange carrot enhances the efficiency of eyes
- The alpha carotene in orange carrots inhibits the growth of tumors
- It regulates blood sugar levels
These carrots originate from India and China. Lycopene is present in red carrots.
- Red carrot prevents cardio vascular diseases
- It reduces degenerative diseases
- Red carrot also prevents the risk of various cancers particularly prostate cancer
These carrots originate from Turkey and the Middle East. These carrots are rich source of beta carotene and anthocyanins.
- Yellow carrot is a powerful anti oxidant
- It also prevents heart diseases
- It is a good anti-inflammatory agent
Yellow carrots originate from the Middle East. They contain xanthophylls and lutene.
- Yellow carrots prevent the risk of atherosclerosis
- It fights against the macular degeneration
- It prevents lung cancer
These carrots originate from Turkey and the Middle East. These have anthocyanins.
- Black carrot acts as inhibitor of bad cholesterol (LDL)
- It has many anti-bacterial properties
White carrots originate from Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran. These carrots actually lack the pigment, hence the presence the white color.
- Though the white carrot is considered as having the least health benefits due to lack of pigment, the other compounds like phytochemicals in these carrots reduce the risk of cancer and stroke
- The dietary fiber in these carrots fight against colon cancer