Are bananas part of your daily diet? If not, you may want to consider some of their benefits. Listed below are nine benefits.
When you think of a banana, do you picture a monkey with one? As a child, I had a stuffed monkey that went everywhere with me (pictured below). Maybe monkeys are smarter than we give them credit!
Benefits of Bananas
1. Energy booster. Since bananas have three natural sugars – fructose, sucrose and glucose – combined with the fiber – they are a great energy booster! It is the #1 fruit for athletes.
2. Aids in depression. Bananas contain tryptophan, which your body converts into serotonin. Serotonin is known to help you relax and put you in a happier mood.
3. Aids in anemia. Bananas are loaded with iron and can help to stimulate the production of hemoglobin in your blood.
4. Helps with your blood pressure. Since bananas are high in potassium and low in salt, bananas are now officially able to claim they help to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and strokes.
5. Helps fight hangovers. If you suffer from a hangover, try making a banana milkshake sweetened with honey. The banana helps to calm your stomach; the honey builds up depleted blood sugar and the milk sooths and re-hydrates your system.
6. Aids in heartburn. They have a natural antacid effect on your body.
7. Helps with stress. Because of the high potassium levels in bananas, they help to level off our metabolism that stress decreases.
8. Aids in quitting smoking. The B vitamins found in bananas, along with the potassium and magnesium, help your body in the recovery from nicotine withdrawal.
9. Helps your garden. Before throwing those banana peels away, feed them to your rose bushes and your gardens as fertilizer.
Bananas are best stored on your counter, not in your refrigerator.
When is the last time you had a banana?