Simple and necessary precautions which should be followed by everyone.
Everyone likes to be optimistic about their health and safety. However we also need to take necessary precautions, in case we do meet with an accident or medical emergency.
Imagine the following scenario – a person is traveling alone in a city. He wants to get to his office as soon as possible. In his hurry he meets with an accident and is knocked unconscious. People who come to his aid would like to contact his/her relatives or friends and inform them about the accident. People go through the purse/wallet of the injured person but find cash, visiting cards, and credit cards. The next thing they would go through is the cell phone. In the cell phone they find plenty of contacts. It has names and phone numbers. However people would not know which person to call.
For such situations, it is always important to have your contact details and contact number of friends or relatives inside your wallet/purse and cell phone.
Information which would be useful are:
- Your full name.
- Your home phone number.
- The name and phone number of the person who should be contacted (spouse, parents, relatives, friends).
- You should also include your blood type(A+, O+). This is in case you need blood transfusion.
You could write this information on a piece of paper or make a card with the necessary information on it.
On your cell phone you could do the following:
- Instead of putting the name of spouse or parents, you could put it as ‘Husband’, ‘Wife’, ‘Father’ or ‘Dad’, ‘Mother’ or ‘Mom’.
- Another way to type the name is ‘a My Husband’, ‘a My Wife’. Adding the ‘a’ bring the contact name on the top of the contact list on my cell phone. So when a person looks into my ‘Contacts’ list the first name that would appear is ‘a My Home Phone’ and other important contacts. You can take the necessary steps to have the important names and number appear first on the ‘Contacts’ list.
- Recently I received an email from my cousin about a new way of keeping emergency contact information. It’s called ‘ICE’ which stands for In Case of Emergency. On your cell phone you can add the name as ‘ICE’ and add the phone number of the person who should be contacted in case of emergency. If you want to include contact numbers of more than one person, then you can type the name as ‘ICE 1’, ‘ICE 2’ etc.
- Along with the contact number you can also include a note which includes your name and the name of the contact person. This would be helpful during the conversation between the contact person and the caller.
- Also add a note about your blood type.
It is also important to inform your emergency contact person, that you have included his/her name as the emergency contact person.
Such precautions would be useful for everyone, especially for old people and people suffering from medical conditions like heart attack etc.
Please inform your relatives and friends about the above precautions.