Like any other important task, weight loss also requires proper goal setting. Invest some amount of time in setting a realistic goal. For e.g. our goal in this book is to lose 10 pounds.
Some Practical Suggestions for Losing Weight
1. Importance of goal setting
Like any other important task, weight loss also requires proper goal setting. Invest some amount of time in setting a realistic goal. For e.g. our goal in this book is to lose 10 pounds. One way to do this is to create a symbol that represents your goal. You can find a dress or a suit that will fit perfectly when you reach your goal. It can also be an activity such as playing ball with the kids or climbing a mountain that you have not been able to perform lately, and that you are looking forward to doing as you reach your goal.
2. Adjust the rate of weight loss to not more than 1 pound per week. Sudden and large amounts of weight loss is usually non sustainable and also detrimental to physical health.
3. Home cooked meals are the best option while you are on a weight loss regimen. Learn the caloric values of your home dishes and control their consumption. This does not mean that you have to be obsessed with calorie counter. Even if you have eaten something fattening once in a while, you can burn the extra calories by doing an additional round of exercise.
4. Anticipate plateaus when you will find that you are not losing any weight. This phase will be common to all. They happen due to accumulation of water in the body as fat is used up. You should increase exercise during this period to get rid of this accumulated water.
5. Avoid commercially available low calories foods. They are no better than low calories home- made meals.
6. When you are eating away from the home, in a restaurant or in a party, avoid excesses but do not get upset if you miss your planned diet. You can always adjust the following day’s menu or the remaining part of the day’s diet to compensate for the occasional increased calorie intake.
7. Include ample amounts of protein in diet, as it is ultimate fill-me-up food. Incorporate healthy proteins such as lean meat, yogurt, cheese, nuts and beans in your meals and snacks.
8. Always eat your breakfast. Skipping breakfast will make you hungry later on in the day and you may end up eating more at lunch and dinner.
9. Make it a habit to think about you at least once a week for your better health and fitness.