An interesting article tells about Intracytoplasmic sperm injection, an infertility procedure.
Male infertility is a bigger challenge in front of infertility experts. Every case brings a new learning for them. It is much complex to cure because of various parameters that need to be looked into. There is a long list of treatment methods and infertility experts select the best one depending on symptoms.
Intracytoplasmic sperm injection or ICSI is used for injecting sperms in the egg so that fertilization occurs. Infertility experts use this method when male partner is incapable of doing it through the natural process.
Who need ICSI the most?
ICSI is quite effective method in a variety of infertility cases:
· The male partner has structural deformity but there is reluctance for donor sperm. Know about male infertility at
· Low concentration of sperms in the semen with poor motility
Known history of IVF treatment with unsuccessful fertilization
· Womb of the female partner has hostile environment for sperms
Infertility experts use special equipment and tools to carry out the procedure. It is a delicate and time-taking procedure that needs great expertise. Picking up the best sperms and inserting into egg is the trickiest activity. Sperms have to be injected at the core and it needs a lot of perfection and precision. According to experts, the success rate dangles between 70 to 80 percent.
· Hormonal injections are given to the female partner so that uterus becomes ready for the pregnancy.
· Mature egg is picked with a special pipette that is suitable for holding it in a better way.
· An extremely sharp and hollow needle is used for picking up the healthiest sperm in an immobilized state.
· Sperm is injected in the core part of the egg known as cytoplasm.
· Egg is under observation for 24 to 48 hours to check fertilization
ICSI: The highs and the lows
As far as fertilization success rate is concerned, ICSI shows a brilliant report card with 75 to 80 percent cases successful. Similarly, pregnancy success rate (i.e. conversion of fertilization into successful childbirth) also shows fantastic figures. A few failures are contributed by poor quality of sperms or some unknown reasons.
ICSI comes out to be a great ray of hope for infertile couples.