A member of the Cucurbitaceae family, watermelon, is considered one of the world’s healthiest foods. A very good source of Vitamin A & C, watermelon offers a number of health benefits.
Watermelon is one of the best sources of antioxidants – contains Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Red or pink watermelon also contains a powerful carotenoid antioxidant known as lycopene.
- As we know watermelon is a good source of Vitamin A & C, also a source of the potent carotenoid antioxidant, lycopene; these powerful antioxidants neutralizes the free radicals of the body. Free radicals cause great damage to body. They can add to severity of asthma attack, by oxidizing the cholesterol they can increase the chance of heart attack, also increase the inflammation in the cases of arthritis. Watermelon contains good amount of Vitamin C, which are very good at getting rid of these free radicals.
- Lycopene rich fruits are always very good against developing prostate cancer. Lycopene can be found almost all red colored fruits. As watermelon (red or pink) is an excellent source of lycopene, regular consumption of watermelon lowers the risk of prostate cancer.
- Watermelon contains high amount of citrulline (an amino acid), that creates another amino acid known as arginine. Arginine removes ammonia from the body and helps to heal the wound quickly. Arginine plays an important role in immune system modulation. Vitamin A and Vitamin C, both are also very good immunity booster.
- Because of watermelon is rich in Vitamin B, it is a good food for energy production. Watermelon is full with Vitamin B1, B6, magnesium, and potassium. These make watermelon a great food for health. Potassium rich foods are helpful to control blood pressure, and also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones.
- It is said that watermelon works like a natural Viagra. Arginine improves sexual function in men as it boots nitric oxide which relaxes blood vessels.
These are the major health benefits of watermelon. A major source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin A and Vitamin B6, thiamin, potassium and magnesium – watermelon is an excellent source of nutrients.