Scientifically known as Cucumis sativus, cucumbers are great for the health. Primarily composed of water but also containn high amount of fibre, potassium and manganese.
Very similar to the watermelon– cucumbers are composed of mostly water and low in calories. the high water content of the cucumber helps keep the body hydrated and regulate body temperature. Cucumber also helps body to get rid of excess fluids, harmful wastes and toxins. The flesh of cucumber contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid which help soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling. The hard skin of the cucumber is excellent source of fiber, silica, potassium and magnesium. Silica is very good for the skin. it improves the health of the skin and makes it naturally hydrating. Thus, it helps to get a good complexion and a glowing skin.
Silica also helps strengthen connective tissue such as bone, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and blood vessels. Cucumber juice is a great source of silica.
Cucumbers is very helpful to prevent various skin problems. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid in cucumber are helpful to prevent eye swelling, sunburn and dermatitis. Cucumbers when applied topically helps to treat inflamed, itchy skin, dry skin and also helps in hair growth.
Health benefits of cucumbers include:
- Control high blood pressure. Because of a rich source of potassium, magnesium and fiber- eating cucumber can reduce high blood pressure to a healthier level.
- Good for the diabetics.
- Fresh cucumber juice can provide relief from heartburn. Cucumber juice is also good for the treatment of gastritis and ulcers.
- Not only good for the skin, cucumbers are also very good for the hair, nails, teeth and gums.
- Cucumbers help to relax nerves and muscles.
- Applying cucumber juice is good for treating acne and other skin blemishes.
- Cucumbers help to repair cells
- Good for kidney ( helps in the dissolution of kidney stones) and urinary bladder disease.
- Fresh cucumber juice is great for rheumatic conditions caused by excessive uric acid in the body.
- Cucumber juice (because of its temperature regulating properties) is very good in the condition of fever.