We're planning to start a family soon and I'd like to know if there is anything we should do now to maximize our chances of having a healthy baby. I've heard that folic acid is good, but I don't know why or when I should start taking it.
- Try to roughly achieve your ideal weight that is, not more than 10 percent above or below it. You may find conception difficult if your weight is too little.
- Avoid taking in medicines that are not essential.
- Reduce alcohol consumption to two to four units a week [a unit is a pub measure of wine or spirit half a pint of beer]
- Stop smoking.
- Eat regular balanced meals.
- Take regular but not overly demanding exercise- brisk walking and swimming are ideal.