Do you know what carob is? Have you ever seen a carob or tasted one? Here is one of the foods that are healthy to heart.
If you live in Europe or America, finding this beneficial fruit may not be easy, as carob is not cultivated in those regions. Carob, or “Ceratonia Siliqua”, is cultivated in the Mediterranean region. It is mostly cultivated in the eastern and southern area of Spain. It’s natural habitat is Southern Anatolia, Cyprus, Syria, Greece, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Israel and Libya. It is an evergreen tree with large and shiny leaves. It grows in warm climates and may live to be 120 years old. Carob contains carbohydrates, tannins, proteins, minerals and dietary fibers. It is included in dairy products, baked goods, snacks and cereal as dietary fiber.
Carob has been consumed in ancient times. It’s name is referenced in Bible, Talmud and New Testament. According to the legend, St. John subsisted on carob beans mixed with honey during his crossing of desert. Hence, it also known as Saint John’s Bread. The seeds of carob is used to weight gold. It is eaten on the Jewish holidays and it’s juice is consumed by Muslims during the Islamic month of Ramadan.
Most of the people in my country know the carob tree (or locust tree) but they don’t the benefits of it for health. This article covers the benefits of carob for health. Here is a great list of benefits of locust tree.
- Improves digestion.
- Lowers cholesterol level in the blood. Carob seeds don’t have a cholesterol agent.
- It acts as an antioxidant.
- It can be used to treat diarrhea in children and adults.
- It contains an active substance that is effective against asthma. Carob is also used for asthma problems caused by allergies.
- It is a good expectorant. If the smokers use it for a few days, they will see how to expectorate.
- It doesn’t contain caffeine. It works nicely for patients that have high blood pressure.
- It can help to prevent lung cancer, if used regularly.
- It contains vitamins E and is used for the treatment of cough, flu, anemia and osteoclasis.
- Carob tannins have Gallic acid. Gallic acid is analgesic, anti allergic and antibacterial. It is also antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic.
- It is used for the treatment of polio in children, as the Gallic acid in carob tannins helps to prevent polio.
- It is rich in phosphor and calcium. For this reason, it is used in the fight against osteoporosis.